Ranch House was built in a hurry. The family of cattle ranchers who
built it had just been burned out of a large home on the east side of the
river, near the present day River Lodge. The fire occurred in November
of 1947, and they realized that in a short time the weather would present
serious problems. Fortunately the logs had already been harvested in
anticipation of building the following spring. Some time later the
ranch had a visit from the "tin men" who covered the logs with aluminum
siding, preserving them very nicely until 1990, when renovation started by
exposing the true building. An insulated 2x4 internal frame was
constructed and covered with pine paneling. The colorful barn wood
used on the living room wall and trim in the bedrooms came from dilapidated
outbuildings on the ranch. Dormers were added to the attic, resulting
in two generous bedrooms and a bathroom. The dining room, front porch
and greenhouse were grafted onto the original building, striving to capture
the same log look. The attached
greenhouse is about 800 SF and is fully functional.
An open area near its northern wall would accommodate a large spa. It
could be surrounded by tropical plants, an herb garden or a multitude of
vegetables (or any combination of flora). A large room behind the
greenhouse has been used as a wood shop, but could easily be converted to a
spacious family room.
Cabins | Activities |
© 1998 ALTA MEADOW RANCH, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.